Photo cred from one green planet org
One of my favorite meal plans for the winter months is vegan chili. The mixture of beans, peppers, tomatoes and onions is just so delicious. It’s also a great way to stay warm. It takes some time to make but lasts me the entire week. I love extremely spicy flavors that are bold so I prefer habenero and serrano peppers. The addition of sweet corn balances the spice to make a perfect combination of spicy and sweet. Here are the ingredients you will need:
2 tablespoons of olive oil/avocado oil
1 white onion (diced)
4-6 cloves of garlic (minced)
1-2 bell peppers (any color) (seeded and diced)
1 bag of presoaked/cooked black beans or 2 cans
16 oz of garbanzo beans
2lbs of peeled and cored tomatoes or 2 cans of diced tomatoes
8 oz of corn
2 jalepenos (seeded and diced)
3-5 serrano peppers (seeded and diced)
1 habenero pepper (seeded and minced)
2 tablespoons of smoked paprika
1 tablespoon of oregano
1 tablespoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon of cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon of cumin
1-2 cups vegetable broth
Salt and Pepper to taste
Green Onion, Cilantro and/or Avocado
1. Warm a large pot at medium heat. Add the oil, minced garlic, onion and bell pepper. Stir to mix (I use chopsticks to mix). Cook until the onions are translucent about 8-12 minutes.
2. Add the spices, paprika, oregano, cumin, chili powder, and cayenne pepper and stir. If you mixed these in a separate bowl (which I usually do) you can use a little vegetable broth to clean out the bowl. Stir for about a minute.
3. Add the corn, tomatoes, black beans, garbanzo beans and vegetable broth. Stir to mix and reduce the heat to a low simmer. You can either cook at medium to low heat for the next 45 minutes or transfer it to a crock pot for overnight cooking if your beans were not cooked thoroughly.
4. Once cooked add the juice of 1 or 2 limes depending on your taste. Now add salt and pepper to taste.
5. Garnish with green onion and/or cilantro and/or avocado. Sometimes I like using avocado salsa.
I separate this into 5 Tupperwares for my lunch that I bring to work. It retains its flavor so well. I find it comforting and hearty. I hope you can enjoy it as much as I do.